Sunday, November 6, 2011

Half Sleep, Half Dead.

The Average Bureaucrat by Salvador Dali, this is the work of art I've chosen to talk about the father figure. To give a brief history about it, this work was done by Dali when his father denounced his actions and took away all of his inheritance. Dali had named a work of his "Sometimes, I spit for fun on my mother's portrait" and that was the borderline for his dad: he was rejected, spelled from his house in Spain and, as said before, disinherited. Dali's father was a notary, hence the name Bureaucrat, given to him in the painting.

The painting shows a half sleep, half dead figure who's doing nothing but staring at his own chest. He's got no ears, showing his incapability to listen to anything or anyone and there's a lovely hermit crab living in a brain-less cave. Brian-less. The characteristic desert in Dali's paintings makes an appearance as well, only giving the painting more of a dejected air than it would've had otherwise.

That's pretty much the picture. Very desolate of course, and very depressing. It shows a hatred and contempt towards someone that I'd rather never have running through  my veins. I really really love the painting, Dali being one of my favorite artists, it's hard to ignore the masterful technique in this portrait. However, I really dislike the meaning, it sends chills down my back. It might be because I really love my father and I can't picture myself on such a situation, but as of now, only the incredible brush strokes save this painting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment