Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Hello Death, come in. Would you like a cup of tea?"

My views on death  are probably something I've pondered for quite some time. They are not the usual views on death, and I believe that they actually manage give me a sort of tranquility I've seen lacking in some people. First of it all, I don't fear death, I don't loath it or anything of the sort, and so, I don't have any problem with the topic. To be honest, I actually welcome death and I could even say I yearn for it to come one day. This should not be misinterpreted with "I want to die", but I really have no problem with thinking about dying; it is the only adventure you'll ever have. The only real one at the very least. I'll explain this in more depth in a second.

Other than the previous, I'm an atheist. I really don't believe in heaven or hell, and thus, I don't have any problem with my possibilities for an after-life. I don't believe in some kind of being judging me after I die. Some people ask sometimes if the absolute uncertainty of such a belief is not brains-shattering, and no, it is not. This leads to my point about death being the only -real- adventure you'll ever have. It follows the next though chain:

Even if you can think of the most wild situation you'll ever experience in your life, no matter how improbable it might be, fact remains, you can think of it. You can actually create a possible scenario in which it is capable of happening. This cannot happen with death. It is so uncertain, it has such a vast range of possibilities that it's not possible for you to grasp how many things can happen after you die. It just might be nothing, as well as it might be the most incredible thing you've never imagined. (This of course does not take value out of the regular adventures you might have during your life, nor it means that death will definitely be more fun or interesting than life itself, but it's still a fun uncertainty to have)

Now that I've explained how death might be the only real adventure you'll ever have, I can go ahead and say that with this mindset, it is not lunatic to believe that one might long for death as one longs for a trip to Europe or any other special date. Who knows, it might just happen to be as fun.

I really like the way I view death. I feel it takes a weight I'd otherwise have clinging on to my neck. I remember how years ago, when I was more of a child (Not that I'm not one as of now), I used to fear death as the moment in which god was to judge me and to weight the goodness of my actions. Taking into account I really found good some of the things religion found bad, It was dreadful. In a nutshell, one of the things I despised most about religion, specially in my then childish mind, was how it became a terrorist group which roamed my mind with ideas of hunting demons and excruciating pain as one roasted to the eternal flames of hell. 

I'm happy that when I rejected religion I was able to reject the now irrational fear of the unknown, and learned how to welcome mystery as a dear friend into my doorstep. To me, fear of death is just another way of fear of the unknown. As the popular phrase catches on "When death smiles to us all, the only thing we can do, is smile back". So smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment