Sunday, October 2, 2011

Felix is THE Cat.

To continue with my 1920's/The Great Gatsby spree, I shall now write about a character, quite peculiar I dare say, which in my opinion represents the spirit of the Roaring 20's, and even if he doesn't roar, he meows. Felix The Cat is my character of choice.

Felix was created by Paramount Pictures in 1919, drawn by Otto Messmer and Pat Sullivan, and was the first cartoon character popular enough as to create movies in which he was the staring character. To me, he's a clear reflection of the 1920's. And why? Well, because, in a nutshell, he was intended to be.  Felix portrayed most of the roaring twenties attitudes, steretypes, opinions, etc. He had comic strips and movies on the prohibition, on flappers, on the Russian Civil War and whatnot. He was a clear example of mockery of common practices and he was often portrayed with famous celebrities of the time such as Charlie Chaplin.

Something that never ceases to amaze me and that, I believe, has been partially lost is the animator's ability to evoke feelings and such with only music and actions, no dialogue whatsoever. Just in case it is not obvious, Felix the Cat was a silent cartoon until the end of the 20's, when Mickey Mouse forced vocal chords down his throat due to competition. Felix the Cat as a cartoon was plainly surrealist, I find this extremely fascinating as it would show the people how, in his world, Felix's world, everything was possible. His tail which would turn into exclamation signs or swords or pens complimented the twisted situations in which he endeavored himself and eloquently showed, as said before, the common life and events of the 20's in a fashion which not only contradicted physical laws but also gave good entertainment to American audiences. A cat with serious style I say. He was and still is.


No comments:

Post a Comment