Thursday, September 22, 2011

"And after three days, Jay Gatsby came back from the dead"

This time, I've been assigned with something interesting to say the least, I have to relate Jay Gatsby, one of the main characters from Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" to a character I find somewhat similar to the charming bootlegger. After some thinking, I think I've come to an answer: Jesus (Refer to the picture if you don't know who this peculiar guy is).

I just can't help it. I don't know if it's the charming face telling you "C'mon! You what I'm saying is true!" even when you know it's not, or his wonderful tunic fluttering with the the autumn winds. He's just as deceiving as Gatsby. And I don't mean it in a wrong way, but I do think that there are two sides of the story. Jay Gatsby, the captivating gentleman with the eye-catching suits, who under this fascinating facade he's a dweller of the underground, a bootlegger, a king of the black market. He's got to faces, yet even when having both his -soul- is not corrupted by his bootlegging persona, he's still a pretty nice fellow.

On the other side, we see Jesus. (I'm not trying to challenge or offend any belief, but I'm going to be frank and outspoken with what I feel). I've never quite trusted the 2000 year old dusty book which lies unopened in the entrance of innumerable houses, yet I've grown in an incisive catholic community and I've had to open it more than a couple of times. Written in its pages I can only see a Jesus which in representation of his father's telling us we're actually all guilty of bad deeds (Sins) and that should we not repent we are going to suffer the eternal flames of hell. He does pray for us while being up in the cross, but in the end we're still under the burden of having to guide our life for the sake of not suffering eternal pain instead of doing it because we actually believe in it. It's a simple disgusting threat. Even newborns should repent as even they are under the so called -original sin-. And having to thank him for every good thing I do is also pretty annoying, I believe one should be auto sufficient and praise oneself for each goal you achieve; the belief that everything good we do is part of godly machinations just takes away the value from what you and others've done.This is, in a very tight nutshell, the bad face of it, at least the bad face I've always seen and which's drove me away of his followers. But the good news is that there's another face! A much more friendly and happy face, which invites me into his creed whenever I see him, who with open arms gives me way to heaven. I believe the image of Jesus is just as deceiving as the image of Gatsby, they are both good looking, enthralling and charming, yet when you see down the drain they might not be as nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment